Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Troops pay for own body armor

Today I listened to a caller on Howard Stern that really upset me. The woman works at a law enforcement supply store and said that about a quarter of their business now comes from soldiers or their families buying bullet proof vests and other items that the US military isn't supplying to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. These soldiers have to pay out of their own pocket to get protection while fighting for our country!

I heard about this story a few years ago as the war effort ramped up, but assumed it was all better by now. I can't believe we are still sending these young kids over there without the right equipment to keep them safe. I did some google research and found a couple of "reasons" for the shortage - a supply ordering mistake, holdups in manufacturing, whatever - there is no excuse for letting this continue. I'm going to contact my congressman and try to get more info.

Just another example of Howard Stern's range - it's not always lesbians and retards.